UFC officials today announced the matchup will serve as co-main event of the Dec. 13 fight card, which takes place at Phoenix’s U.S. Airways Center.
The matchup will make an impact at 155 pounds, as Dos Anjos currently sits at No. 6 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings, while Diaz checks in just behind at No. 8.
Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC) hasn’t fought since an impressive November 2013 win over Gray Maynard. The much-needed result snapped a two-fight losing streak for Diaz, but he’s spent the past several months involved in a contract dispute with UFC officials. Still, he remains an in-demand commodity with MMA fans and now gets a big fight in his return.
Meanwhile, Dos Anjos (22-7 MMA, 11-5 UFC) is currently enjoying the best run of his career, going 7-1 in his past right UFC appearances. Along the way, he picked up key wins over former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and top contender Donald Cerrone, while the lone loss in that stretch came to undefeated Russian Khabib Nurmagomedov.
With the addition, the latest UFC on FOX 13 lineup now includes:
- Junior Dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic
- Nate Diaz vs. Rafael Dos Anjos
- Alistair Overeem vs. Stefan Struve
- Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Matt Mitrione
- Jussier Formiga vs. John Moraga
- Drew Dober vs. Jamie Varner
- Derek Brunson vs. Ed Herman
- Bryan Barberena vs. Joe Ellenberger
- Joe Riggs vs. Ben Saunders
- Anthony Birchak vs. Ian Entwistle