UFC Fight Night 77 takes place Nov. 7 at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo. The event is expected to air on Fox Sports 1 following early preliminary bouts on UFC Fight Pass.
Munhoz, a Sao Paulo native, will fight in front of his home fans and will be looking to extend his winning streak to three fights. He took a short-notice bout against Raphael Assuncao for his promotional debut in February 2014, but dropped a decision. After that, though, he stopped Matt Hobar with a first-round knockout in May 2014 and submitted Jerrod Sanders in 39 seconds in October.
Munhoz, a former RFA bantamweight champ before he signed with the UFC, has been out of action for nearly a year, though. After his win over Sanders in Canada, he allegedly failed a post-fight drug test for elevated testosterone levels. Although never formally announced as suspended by the Nova Scotia Boxing Authority or the UFC, Munhoz recently told MMAjunkie a settlement with the commission was imminent following some testing irregularities.
When Rivera steps in against Munhoz, it will be nearly seven years since his most recent loss. Since then, at a Ring of Combat show in New Jersey, he has 15 straight wins, including four for Bellator, one for WSOF, three for CFFC, and in July, a first-round knockout in 89 seconds of Marcus Brimage in his promotional debut at UFC Fight 72 in Scotland.
With the addition, UFC Fight Night 77 now includes:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1)
- Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson
- Patrick Cummins vs. Glover Teixeira
- Thomas Almeida vs. Anthony Birchak
- Piotr Hallman vs. Alex Oliveira
- Gilbert Burns vs. Rashid Magomedov
- Tom Lawlor vs. Fabio Maldonado
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1)
- Gleison Tibau vs. Abel Trujillo
- Yan Cabral vs. Johnny Case
- Matheus Nicolau Pereira vs. Bruno Rodrigues
- Viscardi Andrade vs. Gasan Umalatov
- Pedro Munhoz vs. Jimmie Rivera